Living in the present, and a new project

Hopefully in these last few posts I've done enough recapping of the last three years. Time for a little "Be Here Now".

It seems clear that for now, I'm going to be piecing together an existence from a few different sources of income.  And I'm OK with that.  At least a few of those sources are activities, the teaching and playing of music, that fill my soul as well as my wallet.  The trick is to get enough of that going to eliminate the need for the mind-numbing "job-job" part of the equation.  So that's a short term goal.

Then there's the hustling.  I need to be more persistent about riding around and putting up fliers for guitar teaching.  I'll do a few here and there, but I need to discipline myself to set aside a couple of hours a week where I cover every possible public bulletin board I can find.  It does help.  And I need to keep a little networking going to make sure I get calls whenever someone needs guitarslashbanjoslashbassslashukeslashmando for a show of some kind.  I seem to have inadvertently carved out a little niche for myself in theatre pit work, having played four shows over the last seven months.  I'd like to keep that going.

Even with all that, I kinda need something to do.  I actually have evenings where I get home and don't have something staring me in the face that needs doing.  I'm not much for TV, and I fall prey way too often to the trap of Facebook, so I'm trying to ease off there.

So here's what I'm doing; I'm setting a somewhat arbitrary goal of learning 20 new songs a month.  Seems obtainable, but I'm not going to beat myself up if it's the last day of the month and I've only got 18.  No real restrictions on genre or purpose, although I'm sure some will be for throwing into the Zinc Kings repertoire.  Some might be for a side project that fellow ZK Mark and I have discussed, sort of a two guys in chairs with guitars thing, maybe a little bluesier.  Some might be for the day I get back to doing a rock thing.  Some might be just because I like the song I would like to be able to play it, at least for my own amusement.

And I'll blog about each one.  That'll keep this blog active enough to amuse the ones of twos of you who are actually paying attention.   First song is already in process, so I'll probably be putting that post up shortly.

Til then...






Comments

Popular Posts