Zep redux (again)

It's interesting to me to see yet another revival of interest in Led Zeppelin, with at least one reunion concert coming and a new retrospective cd.



My relationship with Zep began the first time I heard Whole Lotta Love on AM radio. Even through the oval front speaker in my mother's Oldsmobile I was hit with a sonic power I had never heard before. Not long after that I heard Led Zeppelin II in it's entireity at my friend Frank's house. I was hooked. I knew I had found the band to replace the disintegrating Beatles as my favorite.


It pretty much stayed that way through high school. The other "hard rock" bands (Heavy Metal wasn't yet a defined genre) of the time, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, didn't interest me. None of them had the substance of Zep.


Not long after that, I moved on, expecially during the period where radio stations prided themselves on how often they played Stairway to Heaven. LZ seemed irrelevant.
A few years ago though, I got a promo copy of one those anthologies where the band is pictured as astronauts(?). The stuff holds up amazingly well. And now I find myself discussing Jimmy Page at length with my high school age guitar students. Robert Plant has also done a great job of reinventing himself, with his new colaboration with Allison Kraus.

Comments

Popular Posts