Ringo: "You can learn from boooks!"

Yeah, I know. Five years and two months since my last blog entry. Gonna try and do better, but I’ve said that before…

These days I buy and acquire books the way I used to do with albums. When I say albums, I mean vinyl, tapes, CDs, and downloads. Somehow streaming and acquisition don’t seem to relate to each other.


This all came about when Rosser and I, along with our good friends Cindy and Mark, decided to turn our occasional home-and-away dinner evenings to a monthly bookclub, since most bookclubs are famously excuses for getting together and drinking wine and eating.


If I get too many books, and I probably already have, the backlog gets a mite unwieldy. After all, a good album may resonate and stay in your mind for a few hours, but the actual experience of listening usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, maybe less if we’re talking about vinyl. It takes me two or three weeks to finish a book, maybe less if I have a lot of time on my hands. That hasn’t been the case for most of my adult life, but I feel things shifting a bit. Rosser is a much more prolific reader than I am, and Cindy is able to get through most books with full comprehension in a manner of days. Heck, the last book I finished, The Big Door Prize by M.O. Walsh, I had to go back and read the last couple of chapters a second time to make sure I understood the ending (it was late, and my bedtime gummy was cutting in). By the way, you should read that book, it’s a good’un. 


The book club pretty much guarantees I’ll read at least twelve books this year, and I’m hoping to be able to sneak another one in-between the monthly selection. To hold me to it, I’ve set up a Goodreads account. Three books finished so far, with another likely to be completed when I’m working as a precinct judge at this week’s primary election.


Now, go read something.

Comments

Popular Posts