My Leg

Since it seems that this is going to be an ongoing story, I guess it's time to address it in this blog.

I've never been one to stand still on stage. Of course, my first obligation is to make sure that my part is being played correctly, but hey, this is Rock 'n Roll, so if the spirit moves me, so be it.

At least that was the case up until this past July 2oth. That night everything changed forever.

Sin Tax was playing at 2 Art Chicks in downtown Greensboro, the second of three bands performing under the aegis of "2 Rock Chicks at 2 Art Chicks", as each band had two women members. We were playing particularly well, and I was having a great time.

We were playing our final song, a cover of Blondie's "X-Offender". I decided to finish it off by leaping from one level of the stage to another. A jump of eighteen inches.

EIGHTEEN INCHES!

I landed next to David, and then my left leg buckled underneath me. I don't really remember that much pain, more a numbness from my knee down. Naturally a lot of people (some of the band included) thought my continued presence on the floor was part of the show. But I couldn't move.

As luck would have it, there was an off-duty EMT in attendance. He came over and stabilized me. I seem to remember that he told me it looked sprained or twisted, but I found out later that he turned to Nancy pretty quickly and said "it's broken". An ambulance was summoned, and I was carted out of the venue on a gurney to the ovation of the crowd. A great Rock n' Roll moment, I guess.

More later, including visual aids...

Comments

Popular Posts